Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie



HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT

 Patty's Day!!!


One of my husband;s favorite dinner I make is Chicken Pot Pie. I promise it isn't as hard as it seems. 

Ingredients:  
1 box of refrigerated pie crust (I use the deep dish, and I pull it out about 30 mins prior to cooking) 
1/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup of chopped up onion
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper ( I love pepper so I always add a tad more)
1 can of Chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk
2 1/2 cups of shredded cooked chicken (or you can do this with turkey)
2 cups of Steamer frozen Mixed vegetables, thawed. 

Heat the oven to 425 degrees 



(Just missing the flour.. oops) 

In a 2-quart sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add Onion; Cook 2 minutes, stiring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.  

Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables ( I used steamfresh bag of veggies, which come out to be less than 2 cups of veggies). 


Remove from heat. Spoon into a crusted-lined pie plate ( I use the deep dish crusted-lined pie plate) 


 For the top crust I use Bisquick about 2/3 of milk and 1 cup of Bisquick and mix it with a fork. And then I slowly pour on top of the mixture. 

OPTION 2:  Or when buying the pie crust you can buy it with the second crust and use it is for the top; Seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust. 





Bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During the last 15-20 mins of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. (I have the pie on a cookie sheet, but between the cookie sheet and pie I will put foil between them so when it is time to cover the crust. I just bend the foil up and over the crust. In my eyes soo much easier than using strips of foil. And just in case the Bisquick seeps over the pie. Your cookie sheet is still clean.)  Let the pot pie stand for five minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment